Frequently Asked Questions


Who is Borderview?

Borderview is a company specializing in firearm logistics, primarily internationally.  For the most part, this means obtaining the necessary export licenses and import permits to facilitate the legal shipment of firearms and related items between the U.S. and Canada.

Borderview was founded in 2011 as a spin-off of the export division of Dave’s Sports Shop in Lynden, Washington. We continue to provide export/import services for Dave’s and their customers in addition to serving hundreds of other customers worldwide.

How is value determined if I'm not purchasing the firearms?

Even though a firearm is not being “purchased” in a situations such as inheritances, gifts, or moving, there must be a fair market value assigned. This value is used to present on the Customs paperwork, as well as to make sure that enough insurance coverage is placed on the item in the rare case of damage or loss during shipment. In such cases you may use an estimated fair market value on your form submissions to us, which we will evaluate to confirm are within a defensible fair market value range. If you are altogether unsure about value, simply state ‘unknown’ and we will work with you to determine the proper amount to declare.

Borderview does not declare values lower than fair market value range for the purpose of saving on taxes, so please don’t ask.

Can we state a lower value for my firearm to save on taxes?

No, so please don’t ask. We operate with utmost integrity and in strict compliance in all that we do (would you want any less of your arms exporter?). Furthermore, these same declared values are used to determine insurance coverage levels, so you want to have the right amount just in case.

For purchased firearms, the actual purchase price will be used on all paperwork (with one exception: if the stated purchase price is significantly lower than fair market value range, Customs may still require adjustment to fair market value). In such cases we will notify you, in advance if possible, of any adjustments being made to declared values.

For firearms not being purchased (such as inheritances, gifts or moving with a collection), see “How is value determined if I’m not purchasing the firearms?” above.

Borderview does not declare values lower than fair market value range for the purpose of saving on taxes, so please don’t ask.

When and how do I pay for the import/export services?

Borderview will email you your invoice with payment instructions, typically as we approach final approval for shipping. Thus, prompt payment is necessary to ensure your shipment can go out without delay as soon as we receive final approval. For most shipment types, your invoice will summarize the item(s) we received and your shipping address on file, so you can confirm these details.

Invoices are in U.S. dollars and can be paid securely online by credit card (VISA, MasterCard or American Express) unless otherwise stated. Alternately you can mail certified U.S. funds to our main office, or request our wire transfer instructions.

Where in the US can I buy firearms or other items for export?

As of late 2019, the U.S. government requires that the Exporter of firearms and related items also be the Seller of those same items.

If you’ve found that perfect one-of-a-kind used, collectible, or custom firearm you’d like to buy, you may place a special order for it with us using our Buy-on-Your-Behalf Service.

Alternatively, if you’re looking for a new-in-box, current production model of a firearm, we would be glad to provide you with a quote on price and availability of that model if we were to source it directly for you from our wholesale suppliers. In many cases this will save you time and money on in-country shipping. Just let us know what specific model numbers you’re looking for when you fill out the “Start an Export” form.

Do you offer services for Australia, New Zealand, the UK, or other countries?

While we have had service offerings for these countries in the past (and hope to do so again in the future), Borderview is currently only moving shipments for individuals between the United States and Canada.

Can you store my firearms while I buy more to ship together?

Yes, we’re happy to do so with prior arrangement and within reason. Usually this means a couple months with a few firearms. If it’s going to be longer or another unusual circumstance, we’d be happy to talk with you about options to make it work well for you.

Exports to Canada

How long does it take to get a firearm exported to Canada?

The average wait time is about 2-3 months from the time your shipment arrives to our U.S. facility. Some go faster while others may take longer.

How do you ship to me?

Good news! Our Import/Export Service Fees include our signature In-Person Customs Clearance, which takes care of the complex, cross-border portion of the shipping journey.

That way, if Customs has any questions or wants to inspect, we are typically right there with the shipment. Then once it’s cleared into Canada, we’ll ship directly to you.

Firearms and parts (other than ammunition) are typically shipped by Canada Post Expedited Parcel, signature required.

Ammunition will be shipped by Purolator Ground (with applicable LQ labeling as required).

Can I take the firearms with me as my personal luggage?

No, except in rare cases. Because as the exporter we are required to verify that the item actually being exported is exactly as we described it on the license, we must have the gun(s) or other items in our possession, and initiate export from here. In rare cases, we may be able to make satisfactory arrangements otherwise; however as a standard procedure, the export must begin in our office.

Do I have to pay U.S. sales tax?

No, you shouldn’t. Most sellers outside of Washington State (where we’re located) won’t charge you sales tax by default. However, no seller should be charging you U.S. state sales tax, as every state has a foreign sales tax exemption, and since the items will be exported directly to you without you taking possession in the U.S., you don’t owe sales tax.

Will you accept firearm shipments from an individual, non-FFL?

Yes, in accordance with U.S. law, we can accept firearm shipments from individuals or other FFLs. If sent from an individual, we are required to record their legal name and address in our “bound books”, so the sender must send a photocopy of their Driver’s License or other government-issued ID with their current residence address in the shipment.

Is there a limit to the number of firearms you can export to Canada?

No, there is no ‘limit’ on quantity per se – only that if they are for commercial resale, then a Business Firearms License (BFL) may be required instead of just a personal Possession & Acquisition License (PAL). But, so far, the government hasn’t decided to put quantity limits on individual collectors in Canada (thankfully!).

Can ammunition (ammo) be exported from the US to Canada?

Ammunition must be on the ‘List of Authorized Explosives’ from Natural Resources Canada to be allowed for import. We will verify this as part of the order process.

Which items can ship with a gun and not be considered an additional "line item"?

Each firearm may include accessories/attachments deemed typical for a single firearm, such as: a case, one scope, a sling, etc. Additional items beyond this (eg. a spare barrel or scope) are counted as a Line Item. If you’re unsure – just ask us!

Still have questions? Contact us!